Photo Credit: ABC News
Wisconsin resident and Fitbit Flex 2 owner Dina Mitchell was in for an ordeal, as she claims the wearable exploded without warning while wearing it on her arm. At the time of explosion, Mitchell was not doing any strenuous activity, and was just sitting on her bed reading a book.
ABC News reports that Mitchell's Fitbit Flex 2 caught fire without any warning giving her second-degree burns. "I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded. It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long. Either way, it burned the heck out of my arm," Mitchell told the publication.
Mitchell's Fitbit burst into flames while it was on her arm, and she had to remove it while in flames. Later on, the doctors had to remove plastic and rubber from her wound as well. Fitbit is aware about the matter, and in a statement to Engadget, it said, "We are extremely concerned about Ms. Mitchell's report regarding her Flex 2 and take it very seriously, as the health and safety of our customers is our top priority. Fitbit products are designed and produced in accordance with strict standards and undergo extensive internal and external testing to ensure the safety of our users. We have spoken with Ms. Mitchell and are actively investigating this issue. We are not aware of any other complaints of this nature and see no reason for people to stop wearing their Flex 2. We will share additional information as we are able."
This seems to be a standalone issue for now, as there are no other reports of exploding Fitbit Flex 2 reported just yet. The Fitbit Flex 2 was launched in India in August last year, and was priced at Rs. 9,499. Now, its available online for as low as Rs. 5,999.
Last year, Samsung was embroiled in a similar flaming controversy, when several users' Galaxy Note 7 units started exploding due to a battery defect. Last year, even the Basis Peak wearable was recalled after many exploding reports.