Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted a brief note
on the website to confirm that the social networking site now has over a billion active users.
Here's the note in full:
This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.
If you're reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
Zuckerberg confirmed that Facebook reached 1 billion monthly active users on September 14 at 12.45 PM Pacific time. Facebook reached the 500 million landmark in July 2010, so it's taken a little over two years for the company to clock the next half-a-billion.
Zuckerberg also released a fact sheet on the one billion users. Here are the highlights:
- Over 1.13 trillion likes
- Over 600 million mobile users
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos uploaded
- 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times - that's about 210,000 years of music
- The median age of the user is about 22
- The top five countries where people connected from at the time we reached this milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States (in alphabetical order)
For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 on Twitter, Facebook, and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.