Detailed Re-review for Advanced Users
DHIRAJ BODKHE (May 26, 2014)
on Gadgets 360
The screen is highly responsive as like any flagship phone.
The phone looks premium in hand but if you remove the back cover, you'll find it very cheap.
The Speaker of phone is loud enough to hear but vibrator motor isn't much strong.
The stock video player is simple but it supports all free formats including the Matroska i.e. .MKV format which is the latest among all open standard free formats.
The biggest plus point of phone is its display. I had compared it with Micromax canvas HD(720p HD resolution), the S advance's colors are crisp and clear unlike canvas HD's whitish screen.
The battery backup of phone is good. Using the phone moderately (About 32min of calls, 2Hrs. of music, 30min of 2G internet, 10min of Game) the battery lasted for an about 28-30Hrs. But on the contrary side the phone takes about 2-2.5 Hrs. to full charge.
Despite 1GHz dual-core processor and 768MB of RAM, the phone is sluggish to exit applications and return to the home screen when commanded.
The specs claim that the phone has 768 MB of RAM but I have found it only 555 MB.
Other notable features/Apps include Calculator, Alarm, Google Maps. All are integrated nicely on the device.
If you are camera fanatic then please don't buy this phone because
1. The phone doesn't have Zoom mode.
2. There?s no setting to change default name of the images taken by camera.
3. After clicking snaps you'll notice that the images are quite clear, but believe me images look clear because of super AMOLED display not because of camera. Hence if you want to check its image quality then copy your photos to your PC you will get to know the colors aren?t rich and deep. Also the photos look grainy. But one thing which goes in favor of camera is its LED flash; yes it?s powerful and very bright.
Additional Information & Special features:
The phone has 10 point multi touch display.
SoC: NovaThor U8500 (same for Galaxy Ace 2, S3 mini, Xperia Go, Sola, P, U)
CPU: ARM cortex A9 Dual Core (same for Galaxy Ace 2, S3 mini, Xperia Go, Sola, P, U)
GPU: ARM Mali 400 MP Single Core (same for Galaxy S2, Xperia U)
Semiconductor Technology: 45nm
SAR Value (Specific Absorption Rate max should be 1.6W/Kg. by FCC): 0.543 W/Kg.
(Better than all other non-Samsung phones)
System Storage Memory (for installing Apps): 1.97 GB
USB Storage Memory (for storing Data): 11.31 GB
Everyone wants HD recording & so does the camera capture video very well but the problem here is somewhat different. For 10 Sec. video (.MP4, 720p HD) it consumed 14.5 MB of memory.
Turn Over To Mute: If someone is calling you and you don?t wish that the phone should ring then just turn over your device, ringer bell of your phone will be automatically muted.
Except Camera, I liked my phone in every way.
Buy your phone carefully because it's a device which you'll keep 24X7 with you.
Is this review helpful?
Galaxy S Advance - S2 Lite.
Amol Aghav (May 13, 2014)
on Gadgets 360
Here's a short review of this phone which is also known as the Galaxy S2 Lite in some countries.
Galaxy S Advance (SGSA) stands between Galaxy S n S2. This was my first Android smartphone. I bought dis phone on 21st May, 2013 at a price tag of Rs. 13,400 from a local shop n I was lucky to get d last piece from tht shop as it was hardly available anywhere at that time.
Talking abt d phones at tht time span, phones like Sony Xperia P, Xperia U, Galaxy Grand, etc wer available. However each hd their own pros n cons n none impressed me as SGSA did.
Y chose this:
D main reasons why I choose dis phone was its beautiful Super AMOLED display (a fan since I used my friend's SGS3), 16 gigs of internal storage n its curvy design. All this package at a very impressive price tag.
1. 1GHz dual core NovaThor processor.
2. 768mB of RAM.
3. 4' Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.
4. 16gB of Internal Memory.
5. 5MP rear facing auto-focus camera with LED flash light, 1.3MP front facing camera
6. Android OS 2.3.6 - upgradable to 4.1.2.
7. 1500mAh battery.
1. Pros :
The best thing when it comes to hardware of this phone is its Super AMOLED dispay which comes at a resolution of 480*800. At this price and that time period, none other phone had a vibrant display as this had. Even Galaxy Grand had the same resolution for a 5 inch phone which paved a no 4 me. Next good thing is its internal memory, 16Gb of internal storage was a great thing in those days. When other phones offered hardly 4Gb or 8Gb of storage, this phone provided 16Gb. Other good thing is its 5MP camera. The picture quality of the clicks with this phone is pretty decent and it also records HD videos upto 720p. I started taking amatuer photography as my hobby because of this camera.
Though this phone has pretty decent hardware specs in its range, one can find out some cons like the headphone jack, which is not much problematic but still something to look at as its at the down side of the phone instead of upper end. Next is its back panel which sports a good design though catches dirt easily.
The phone when went official in 2012 came up with Android 2.3.6 OS. The software was greatly optimized for the hardware and it never went down or got laggy while heavier operations. It came with TouchWiz UI v4 on top of Android which seems beautiful on such a display. Next, we all know Samsung is very bad when it comes to updating their phones. Though this was proved slightly wrong this time. The phone got official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean upgrade after few months of its launch,
As I said above Android 2.3 was working great on this phone, but when Samsung provided 4.1.2 update for this phone, it messed up everything. It was not properly optimized and within a few weeks of usage the phone started lagging, no sooner than I rooted it n installed a custom ROM n it did all good. No more updates.
Overview : Best at tht time, no more a king:)
One of the BEST SAMSUNG ANDROID SMARTPHONE which is still available after 2 years of its launch...
Praveen (May 2, 2014)
on Gadgets 360
I had purchased the SAMSUNG GALAXY S ADVANCE in October 2012 for Rs. 18,900/-.
At that time, it was around 9-8 months old the smartphone market.
It caught my attention due to some of its best in class features which were not available at that time in any phone.
Some of the best features are:
1) Decent screen size, i.e, 4 inches, not very big to handle, and not very small to play games and watch movies.
2) It was launched with the Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread version, and can be directly upgraded to v4.2.0 JB.
3) The 1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor is pretty decent in playing most HD games available on the Play Store.
4) It has a 5MP rear + 1.3MP front auto-focus camera, with flash. Photography using this camera is very cool.
5) One of the best thing which I liked about this phone is its storage capacity.
>It has 4GB internal memory, out of which 1.9GB is usable.
>Along with this, it has a 11.2GB of USB Storage, counting its total internal storage to 13GB.
>It has an expandable memory card slot of 32GB.
>Thus, the total memory which can be availed on this phone is 45GB, which I think is more than enough in the present times
6) It is capable of recording 720p videos at 29fps effectively in the .mp4 format. It also has a perfect HD playback.
7) The music playback of the phone is pretty decent with not so much loud, and not so low sound.
8) Talking about the touch screen response, according to me, it has the smoothest touch screen among the phones available with this price tag.
9) One can convert this phone into a wifi modem with the WIFI DIRECT facility available, which is rarely available in any phone.
Some of the bad points which I think will bother someone who is spending 19K to buy a phone like this.
1) It has 768MB of RAM, out of which, 555MB is available in Android 2.3.6 version and 625MB is available in 4.2.0. Now-a-days, many phones with 1GB+ RAM are available at a price below or around this. The low RAM also affects gameplay of some very high resolution games like Asphalt 8, but that too in the highest graphics mode, otherwise, such games are easily playable at a lower graphics level.
2) The screen size is smaller than other phones available with a similar price tag,
3) The phone starts hanging if a high memory consuming app is opened.
4) The biggest thing to worry about is the unavailability of ZOOM FUNCTION in the camera. But this is also solved in the 4.2.0 upgrade.
5) Upon upgrading it to 4.2.0 JellyBean, the phone's performance was very much affected in my case, but that was might be due to improper upgrade by the service personnel. So I later on degraded back to v2.3.6, and now it works smoothly.
6) The 1500mAh battery last for 1 day with heavy use.
Overall, in the last 1.5 years of use, I had not found a phone which is a competitor of this one in terms of storage space, gaming performance and camera, in this price segment.
The success of this phone can be imagined by the fact that it is still available with a price around Rs. 14k.
Great phone at this price
Nitin Tyagi (Sep 13, 2013)
Upgraded to Jelly bean 4.1.2. It is still as awesome as with gingerbread. I don't play too many games on phone. For day to day use with some useful apps installed like facbook, kakao talk, many more.. Havent faced any lags. This is a great samsung phone to buy for Rs 12000. Another Samsung phone recently got price cuts Galaxy core has similar features with little more ram. But cant beat 16Gb in phone memory comes with this phone which is a huge plus point. All in all I am very satisfied with this phone.
ARAVINTH (Mar 26, 2018)
Decent phone for decent price
Amit Batra (Jul 17, 2013)
This is a decent phone for a decent price. Good looks, nice screen, good battery life, little or no instances of hangs and good sound quality. Camera is also very decent. The only issue is that the dual core CPU is *not* fast enough to run some games without jerks (e.g. Subway Surfers).
varunkumar (Jul 27, 2013)
nice phone and the upgrade to the jelly bean 4.1.2 . working fine no issue. about the screen the size it fit in pocket nice to hold in hands also .....
Good.. Price is a bit too high for 3G set
Amazon Customer (Oct 21, 2018)
Anil Kumar Chunduru (Mar 7, 2014)
Received the phone in ship shape condition, its been quite sometime since I had ordered this phone and till now phone has absolutely no issues.
ajmal pasha (Jan 27, 2014)
I have bought the mobile for Rs. 17000. Its awesome. After upgrading to jelly bean It is function is just cant explain in words. Im fully satisfied with the mobile. Its equivalent S2. Compare to galaxy grand I suggest the people to go for Samsung galaxy S advance. But the bad thing is its cost has increased to Rs. 29990. Just imagine why the cost has increased???? and rate by yourselves.