Things don't seem to working out well for Samsung, as the release of Samsung Z, a smartphone based on its homegrown Tizen OS, seems to have been delayed yet again.
Samsung Z was introduced last month at the Tizen Developers Conference in San Francisco and Russia was supposed to be the first market to get the phone in Q3 of this year. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, the Samsung Z was scheduled to be launched at Thursday's event for Tizen developers in Moscow. However, the launch was cancelled.
The Korean tech firm did not give any details on the cancellation, however it did say that the Tizen OS-based handset is still on the track to get launched in Russia. WSJ quotes some attendees as speculating whether Samsung pushed the launch back because it didn't have enough apps in the Tizen store by the time of the launch.
"The smartphone will appear on the Russian market later, when we can offer our users a fullest portfolio of applications," Samsung said in a statement.
The report also states that despite the cancellation, Samsung held the developers event, though it was 'sparsely populated'.
At the event, Dmitry Anosov, a Samsung executive in Russia, said, "The most obvious advantage [of developing for the Tizen phone] is that you'll be at the top in a half empty store on a decent premium device."
Few prototypes of handsets were also showcased, the report added.
Last month, Samsung touted Tizen as a platform not just for phones, but for a range of connected devices, from home appliances to door locks and watches, which may communicate with one another in the future.