Motorola's chief executive Dennis Woodside, in an interview with TrustedReviews, has indicated that the company might launch a smartphone with a price tag of $50. However, Woodside did not share any details about the unnamed smartphone's innards or availability.
Woodside said, "We're going to look at that and just delivering on that value promise is super important. I mean why can't these devices be $50? There's no reason that can't happen so we're going to push that."
Additionally, Woodside claimed that Motorola would revolutionise the budget smartphone segment, while for the high-end segment the company is said to bring in enhanced customisation options in smartphones.
Motorola launched two major devices last year: the flagship smartphone, Moto X which was initially aimed at the US market, and the later announced the Moto G, which was said to be a device manufactured for price-conscious consumers globally.
Recently, Motorola's CEO was quoted on price strategy as saying, "There will be different phones at different price points but we're going to be very aggressive there."
Earlier on Wednesday, Motorola, putting an end to speculation about the Moto G's India launch, confirmed it would announce the budget smartphone for the country on February 5.
Motorola officially unveiled the Moto G smartphone at an event in Sao Paulo, Brazil in November last year. The Motorola Moto G has been said to be available in at least 30 countries with 60 Google partners by 2014. The Moto G is currently on sale in Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Peru, UK, Germany, France, and Canada and is now also available in selective countries in Latin America, Europe and Asia.