Netflix is a slick video streaming service that launched in India in January 2016. The service starts at Rs. 500 per month and offers the first month as a free trial. To sign up, however, you need to key in your credit or debit card details so Netflix will charge you the moment your free trial month ends - and if you signed up as soon as Netflix launched in India and 129 other countries on January 6, then the automatic charge will likely take place on Saturday.
The automatic payment a very convenient feature as you don't have to remember to keep renewing the subscription, but if you have decided that you don't want to continue using Netflix, you might want to cancel the subscription before you get charged. Of course the steps remain the same if you are well into your paid Netflix subscription but decide to cancel it for whatever reason. Here's how you can cancel your Netflix subscription:
Cancelling Netflix via the website
- Go to the Netflix cancellation page.
- Click Cancel streaming plan.
This will let you use Netflix until the time the first (or next) payment is due and the subscription will not be renewed after that. Android users are redirected to the website to sign up or cancel their accounts, so the process is very similar.
How to cancel Netflix via the Android app
- In the Netflix app, swipe in from the left to show the menu.
- Swipe down to settings and tap on Account Settings.
This will open a browser window. Swipe down and tap on Cancel membership, and then tap on Finish Cancellation on the next screen to confirm.
How to cancel Netflix if you signed up via your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes
On the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Open App Store.
- Scroll to the bottom.
- Tap Apple ID:.
- Tap View Apple ID.
- If you're asked to sign in, you might have to enter your Apple ID password and tap OK.
- Under SUBSCRIPTIONS, tap Manage.
- Tap Netflix.
- Tap the switch next to Automatic Renewal to turn it off. If it's green, then automatic renewal is on. If not, then it's off.
How to cancel Netflix via iTunes:
- Download iTunes if you don't have it already.
- Run iTunes, click Sign In and enter your Apple ID and password.
- Tap the person icon on the top right. Select Account Info from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your password and click View Account.
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Next to Subscriptions click Manage.
- Click Edit, which is next to Netflix.
- To the right of Automatic Renewal, click Off.
- Click Done.
For more tutorials, visit our How To section.