Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition for PS4 and Xbox One is now available in select countries — almost three days before the official release date of March 6. You can play Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition early if you reside in the Middle East. Images posted by retailers in region on Instagram show off copies of the game for sale.
This isn’t the first time Square Enix’s games have been subject to a street date break. In the past both Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age have both found their way to store shelves early the world over.
Hopefully we’ll know soon enough if the content slated for Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition is on disc or in code form and what kind of patches it has. Reason being, the base game needs a 21GB update. With the entire game with its DLCs clocking in at close to 150GB on the Xbox One X, we wonder how much of a burden this edition would be on your bandwidth. Square Enix hasn't confirmed what existing owners of Final Fantasy XV would have to pay to upgrade to the Royal Edition either. It's amusing that with just a couple of days till its official release so little is known about what is undoubtedly the company's flagship title.
If you were expecting India to get Final Fantasy XV early, think again. The franchise has had limited appeal, though multiple retailers tell Gadgets 360 that the initial release of Final Fantasy XV exceeded sales expectations to the point where re-orders — which don’t happen for Japanese role-playing games in India — were made. In case you were wondering here's what you get with the Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition.
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition contents
- An all-new dungeon - Insomnia City Ruins: Expanded Map
- New features such as first person mode, new gear, and new bosses.
- All season pass content – Episode Gladiolus, Episode Prompto, Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades, and Episode Ignis.
- Armiger Unleashed – after you collect all 13 royal arms, a more action-oriented mode of the Armiger is unlocked.
- Royal Vessel – the boat from FFXV is now a controllable vehicle. The same body of water (between Cape Caem and Altissia) can now be freely explored.
- Over a dozen pieces of DLC, including weapons, Regalia car skins, and item sets.
- The game itself - Final Fantasy XV
For what it's worth, we found Final Fantasy XV to be a flawed albeit solid entry in the long-running franchise.