Confused? Well this one is for you then.
Siddharth Sharma (Oct 29, 2019)
I am using this device from 6 or 7 days and yeah I can say that the device deserves all the hype that is has created! Although there are some areas of improvements as well, but nothing that major. So lets start
1. PERFORMANCE itself obviously, this device is a monster, as they say. But trust me, it actually is, thats true, like I play PUBG constantly for hours on smooth+extreme without even turning X mode on and it never lagged, not a little bit.
2. DISPLAY is so smooth, since it comes with 120 Hz display rate, what else can we expect? After using this device on 90 hz for 3 hours, when I held my previous device in hand, it felt like D'faq dude? How did you manage with this device for two years?
3. BATTERY is thunderous, I have seen some negative reviews about batteries and then I realized its time to leave the planet! Battery in my usage is so so good, I can easily play PUBG for more than 6 hours constantly. For a basic usage which includes 2 to 3 hours
of gaming, device can very easily last for a complete day.
4. AIR TRIGGER: I got used to them within two days, mastering them is gonna take some more time but all I can tell you is that my response time increased tremendously using these triggers, they are so good, they give us options to be used according to our own pressure sensitivity. That are definitely going to give you some advantage.
5. DESIGN: The device has been designed completely considering gaming aesthetics, even tiny details like the placement of earphone jack, availability of 2nd charging port, cut out of cover to leave space for air triggers are so perfect that you can't even complaint. The device is bit heavy but so solid build, now you have two choices, you can get a light weight device with 4000mAh battery and 120Hz and complaint about bad battery backup OR you can pick up a heavy device with massive 6000mAh battery and same refresh rate as before and chill for rest! I would rather prefer go for second one. They have designed device in such a way that although its heavier, but weight has been distributed nicely, you'll get used to it in 2 or 3 days.
6.SPEAKERS: I have literally no words! These are undoubtedly the best stereo speakers in any smartphones ever! On occasion of Diwali I went to my friend's home and they was a Bluetooth speaker playing some songs, when I told him to stop the song and then I played the same song on ROG 2, everyone was shocked! It was literally sounding way better than bluetooth ones!
The sound is so loud and so crunchy, it has that deep sound effect and subtle Bass which is just perfect!
7. CAMERA: I would rather say that it's not too great but not bad either, comes with Sony IMX 586 sensor, I would rather say that other devices like Zenfone 6z or redmi note 7 pro, which comes with the same sensor can do little better in camera field when compared to ROG 2, but at the same time I wonder why, I mean if two devices have same camera sensors, why there is so significant difference in performance? I think it'd get better in future with software updates. Back camera takes descent pictures and having wide angle lens is a plus point, but that wide angle photos needs little improvement, see it's all about preference, Camera isn't a game changing point for me, I am satisfied with the pictures it can click. Selfies are good, sometimes in dark they are little hazy but no major complaint.
8: HEAT MANAGEMENT is also very very good in this device, no matter if I constantly play PUBG for 3 or 4 hours, the device only gets little warm whereas in same conditions, I have seen other devices touching 45, 46 or even 47 degree Temp. Thanks to the massive Copper Chamber inside the device.
1. FINGER PRINT READER: I think this is major area where ASUS should focus, it's not like finger print reader doesn't works, but the in-display fingure print scanner is slow when compared to others, it takes more time to act. Sometimes it can't read the fingerprint, its very rare though, like only once or twice a day, but it needs some improvement. Again I am telling you, it's not like it doesn't works at all, but it's bit slow.
2. RED TINT DISPLAY: I don't know if I should put it here or not because this problem is present in every High refreshed rate OLED Panels out there worldwide, no matter if you pick OnePlus 7 pro or 7T or even latest Pixel 4 device, they all have this tint issue where if the device is being used in dark mode and you decrease the brightness below 30%, you'll observe some Red or Green color shades, very subtle shade, not like all green, but it's like Very mild red tint on grey background color. The issue is present on ROG 2 as well, now it's not disturbing at all to me but everyone have their own preferences, what you can do to avoid is either always use your device to "Light Theme" mode only, it's not present in light theme or in case you use Dark theme, avoid reducing brightness level below 30%. I can live with this issue, no big deal to me.
Is this review helpful?