Google has updated its Chrome mobile browser for iOS bringing tighter integration with Google services, data compression for faster page load times and savings on data costs, and enhancement to text to speech, among other features.
The new version of Chrome for iOS (Version 28.0.1500.12) allows users to open links for Google services including YouTube, Maps, Google+ and Google Drive in their respective apps, instead of the browser. It will also sign-in users automatically with their Google credentials, if they're signed-in on Chrome. This essentially means that if you come across a YouTube video while browsing a web page in Chrome, the video will open in the YouTube app if it's installed on your iOS device.
The update also brings Google's experimental data compression feature, allowing users to render websites via Google's servers reducing data usage and speeding up page load times. The feature can be enable through Bandwidth Management settings. Users will also be able to check their data savings within the browser through these settings. According to Google, this feature is being rolled out and will be available to all users over time.
Chrome for iOS now also supports full screen mode on the iPad. It also features enhancements to voice search including Text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean. Toolbar controls are now always available when using voice search.
Users will also be able to check their browsing history. This feature was not available, previously.
The updated Chrome browser can be downloaded
from the App Store.What's New in Version 28.0.1500.12
- Interoperability with other Google Apps
- Option to open links for YouTube, Maps, G+ and Drive in the app instead of the browser.
- Enhancements to voice search
- Text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean.
- Toolbar controls are always available when using voice search
- Fullscreen on iPad
- Data cost savings
- Reduce data usage and speed up page load times.
- View data savings in Bandwidth Management settings. This feature is being rolled out and will be available to all users over time.
- Access to browser history
- Stability / security improvements and bug fixes