1. 2012 is at a close and a new year is set to usher in. To share our excitement for 2013, we've put together a list of some of the most anticipated games that you might want to grab in the coming year.
1. DmC: Devil May Cry
2. Dante is back sporting an all-new avatar in the next installment of the DmC series. The game outlines Dante's early years set in a conventional backdrop. The confident self-assured Dante continues to fight in style adding more brutality to the game's gory narrative. Find out who Dante really is in this gripping and thrilling action packed game from Ninja Theory.
15 January 2013; PS3, Xbox 360; Ninja Theory, Capcom
2. Dead Space 3
3. This installment boasts of a new co-op campaign as well as a new playable character that will be named John Carver. From the first gameplay trailer, one sees a new frost planet of Tau Volantis, where the two protagonists have crash landed, digresses from the usual inside-starship fighting which will be the scene for at least a portion of the fighting with large beetle like creatures. The ice planet holds the key to ending the Necromorph plague for good, but first the team must overcome avalanches, treacherous ice-climbs, and the violent wilderness in order to save the earth from an imminent armageddon. The trailer's ending was typical Dead Space style with main protagonist Isaac Clarke being eaten by a large red insect and showing his effort to fight against the insect's digestive elements and his fate left uncertain. Dead Space 3 releases in February 2013.
5 February 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Visceral Games, EA
3. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
4. The raccoon is back to sneak around and collect artifacts to help restore the history of the Thievus Raccoonus. Sly Cooper gathers his gang to find the missing book by travelling through time in an attempt to save his legacy. Originally developed by Sucker Punch for the PS2, the series (now developed by Sanzaru Games) now continues by debuting on the PS3 and the Vita.
5 February 2013; PS3, Vita; Sanzaru Games
4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
5. What initially began as an interquel titled Metal Gear: Rising, has now transformed into Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. The game, which is a spin-off, focuses on cyborg ninja Raiden fighting cyborg enemies while attempting to rebuild an unknown country. It is set to take place several years after Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots and include more action sequences.
19 February 2013; PS3, Xbox 360; Platinum Games, Konami
5. Crysis 3
6. The award winning and critically acclaimed Crytek returns with its FPS franchise is back in its final installment - Crysis 3. The story follows from its predecessor and the player returns to the fight as Prophet, the Nanosuit soldier on a quest to rediscover his humanity and exact brutal revenge. You can adapt with the stealth, armor and thermal abilities of your unique Nanosuit to save a CELL infested New York City. The first gameplay trailer revealed more action with the composite bow, which seemed to be precise and inflict heavy damage, grooving to the eerie soundtrack which we all know Crysis for. The legend ends in Spring 2013.
19 February 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Crytek Frankfurt, EA
6. Tomb Raider
7. The teaser trailer of the game at last year's E3 left audiences hooting for more. A reboot in the franchise, the game showcases a young Lara Croft embarking on a quest for survival that unfolds her identity as the tomb Raider. The graphics look spectacular and the game seems highly promising.
5 March 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix
7. God of War: Ascension
8. God of War Ascension will narrate the story of Kratos before he became the Ghost of Sparta. In this seventh iteration of the series, a younger Kratos is out to seek revenge for being tricked into killing his wife and child by Ares. The game now offers multiplayer support for upto eight players.
12 March 2013; PS3; SCE Santa Monica, SCEA
8. Gears of War: Judgment
9. This version of the game is a prequel that takes place years before the concluding events of Gears of War 3. But even though the major storyline seemed to have concluded fairly definitively, the series is too popular to simply let die. Odds are that we will once again see Marcus Fenix chainsaw something, but for now the series switches to Cole and Baird, and a story from the early days of the war against the Locust. New multiplayer modes will be present, of course, and the campaign will expand on the mythology that made this series one of the best on the Xbox.
19 March 2013; Xbox 360; Epic Games/People Can Fly, Microsoft Studios
9. BioShock Infinite
10. BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter game based in a floating air-city and involves a civil war between an ultranationalist ruling class and a resistance group.
26 March 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Irrational Games, 2K Games
10. Metro: Last Night
11. Set in the environs of post-apocalyptic Moscow, Metro: Last Night is a first person shooter that was originally announced as Metro 2034, a sequel to Metro 2033. The station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to mankind's survival.
March 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; 4A Games, THQ
11. Dead Island: Riptide
12. An open world action RPG, the story continues from where Dead Island left off. The Dead Island heroes are yet to face their worst nightmares on the
monsoon struck islands of Palanai in the Banoi archipelago. Amidst floods, virus attacks and a raging zombie invasion, you embark on a rescue mission for the survivors as their only hope of survival.
23 April 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Techland, Deep Silver
12. Injustice: Gods Among Us
13. From the makers of Mortal Kombat comes another battle between characters of the DC Comics Universe. Witness iconic DC characters like Batman, Superman, The Joker, Catwoman, Cyborg, Deathstroke,Green Lantern, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman and many more engaged in one-on-one fierce battles in various interactive arenas. Players will be allowed to interact with the environment, using surrounding objects against an opponent, as well as switch through multiple sections of the same setting.
April 2013; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U; NetherRealm Studios, WBIE
13. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
14. If you're a lover of fast paced action games, the Splinter Cell is a must on your list. Taking the series forward with Sam Fisher in the lead, Splinter Cell: Blacklist has new additional elements in terms of storyline and gameplay. While Max Beland brought along the release trailer of the game, the first gameplay demo below opens with a scene at the Iran, Iraq border. The scene is followed by demonstrating Sam's shooting abilities which now includes taking down targets quickly and efficiently while in motion. The game is due for release in spring next year.
Spring 2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft
14. The Last of Us
15. They gave us Crash Bandicoot, the Jak and Daxter series and the highly acclaimed Uncharted franchise. And now Naughty Dog is set to unveil their latest creation titled The Last of Us. First teased at the spike video Game Awards last year, the game features a father-daughter duo portrayed by Ellie and Joel, who begin their journey from the post apocalyptic city of Pittsburgh, gradually exploring other areas out of the city. This PS3 exclusive draws inspiration from various movies and novels like I Am Legend and City of Thieves.
7 May 2013; PS3; Naughty Dog, SCEA
15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots
16. This is a squad-based first person shooter set in the surroundings of New York City. Team Rainbow is called into the city to deal with a terrorist group dubbed as the 'True Patriots'. Styling themselves as a populist militia group, the True Patriots have taken it upon themselves to act as judge, jury and executioner on behalf of the victims of economic inequality.
2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Ubisoft Montreal/Red Storm/Toronto, Ubisoft
16. Grand Theft Auto V
17. A first major title in the Grand Theft Auto series since 2008, the 15th game in the overall series, GTA V is set in Los Santos in the state of San Andreas and its surrounding areas, based on modern-day Los Angeles and Southern California. Developer Rockstar says that the game will focus on "the pursuit of the almighty dollar". For the first time in the Grand Theft Auto series, GTA V will feature three playable protagonists. The multiplayer mode will feature "Crews" similar to Max Payne 3. A new Social Club functionality will connect play across multiple titles, starting with Max Payne 3 and GTA V. Playing the multiplayer mode in both games allows crews seth up in one game to be carried over to the other.
Q2 2013; PS3, Xbox 360; Rockstar North, Rockstar Games
17. Star Trek
18. Developed by Namco Bandai Games in association with Paramount Studios, this epic action action adventure features an original storyline and offers immersive co-op gameplay featuring Kirk and Spock, who lead up the fight against the Gorn, an enemy not seen since the days of Star Trek The Original Series.
Q1 2013; PS3, Xbox 360, PC; Digital Extremes, Namco/Paramount
18. Star Wars 1313
19. The game is likely to be a third person shooter where players will don the role of a bounty hunter. The title is derived from the game's setting - subterranean metropolis level 1313, located below planet Coruscant. Lucas Arts states that players can experience exotic weapons along with a mix of human skills. They also said that the game will involve more of cover-based combat as well as playable cinematic gameplay.
2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; LucasArts, Disney LucasArts
19. Beyond: Two Souls
20. Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream unveiled his newest and upcoming game titled 'Beyond: Two Souls'at E3 last year, narrating the story of Jodie Holmes played by Ellen Page. The plot revolves around what happens after humans die. The exclusive gameplay trailer revealed a sequence where Jodie is being questioned by a police officer on her whereabouts. But Jodie stays silent throughout. And then enter the S.W.A.T team who come looking for her. What follows is cinematic footage of Jodie trying to escape, while demolishing the entire team on her own. The game promises an experience never like before.
2013; PS3; Quantic Dream, SCEA
20. Watch Dogs
21. Being developed for about three years now, Ubisoft seized the opportunity to unveil a new IP titled Watch Dogs. The game is all about hacking computer systems, using security cameras, manipulating traffic lights and jamming cell phone signals. As Aiden Pierce, your major weapons include a gun and a cell phone. It is needless to say that the game is more intelligence and strategy oriented as opposed to combat. The game is highly reminiscent of GTA (Grand Theft Auto) with its open world nature and other gameplay elements.
2013; PC, PS3, Xbox 360; Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft
22. The game is set to be a third-person action game. The game's narrative revolves around the idea that Deadpool has taken over a video game studio and is working to design the “most kickass” Deadpool game possible. Deadpool will frequently break the fourth wall and verbally interact with the player based on their skill and progress. New combos will become available to Deadpool as he progresses. Other Marvel characters, such as Domino, Wolverine and Psylocke are set to appear in the game.
2013; PS3, Xbox 360; High Moon Studios, Activision
22. Pikmin 3
23. Nintendo's Pikmin 3 is a real-time strategy video game and is a direct sequel to its 2004 predecessor Pikmin 2. The player directs a pack of about 100 plant-like creatures called Pikmin, which can be directed to accomplish various tasks, such as building bridges, destroying barriers, and defeating enemies. The Pikmin themselves come in various types that signify their special abilities or immunities to hazards. The current version introduces a new type of Rock Pikmin, which can smash through tough barriers. With a special emphasis on the tablets, Nintendo claimed that it would provide an immersive experience leading to a return in interest in "deep gaming".
Q2 2013; Wii U; Nintendo
23. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
24. Luigi continues his ghost-busting mission in this next 3DS title. His weapons include a torch used to freeze ghosts and the Poltergust 5000, a vacuum that not just sucks ghosts but also finds hidden treasures. Luigi will have Toad's assistance at various points in the There are multiple mansions to discover with new hidden threats and require Luigi's strategy-based tactics. The game will be available in both retail and digital versions and will release this holiday season.
Q2 2013; 3DS; Next Level Games
24. South Park: The Stick of Truth
25. Based on the adult comedy series South Park created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become…cool. You begin as the new kid in town facing a harrowing challenge: making friends. As you start your quest the children of South Park are embroiled in a city-wide, live-action-role-playing game, casting imaginary spells and swinging fake swords. Over time the simple children's game escalates into a battle of good and evil that threatens to consume the world. Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat crabpeople, underpants gnomes, hippies and other forces of evil. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed, and you shall be South Park's savior, cementing your social status in South Park Elementary. Fail, and you will forever be known… as a loser. Those who pre-order the game early on pre-order get a bonus which includes the "Good Times With Weapons" pack containing the Bulrog Chicken Attack, Cartman's Kick-Ass Sai weapons and the Samurai costume.
TBA; Xbox 360, PS3, PC; Obsidian Entertainment
25. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
26. This first-person action game allows players to don the role of Daryl Dixon, the crossbow-wielding survivor, alongside his brother Merle, who venture on a haunting, unforgiving quest to make their way to the supposed safety of Atlanta. Players will have to decide whether to stay and fight while risking a gruesome death or using stealth to avoid the undead.
TBA; PS3, Xbox 360, PC; Terminal Reality