Google rules the Internet and the search engine leader's annual Zeitgeist list is a reliable indicator of what's hot and what's not.
Each year, Google examines billions of queries that people around the world type into Google search to discover the zeitgeist — the spirit of the times.
Like people the world over, Indians too are celebrity obsessed and here's the list of the top 10 celebrities that Indians have searched for in 2009.
10. Sachin Tendulkar: We all are aware of the statement "If cricket is a religion, Sachin is God" and there is no question of Sachin's mass popularity in India. But on the Internet compared to India's other 'demigods' the cinema celebrities the Master Blaster looks a little out of form.
Sachin's popularity as a Google search keyword in India saw a steep rise in November, following Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray's comments on India's most popular cricketer. The nation rallied behind their greatest sporting hero and it shows on Google's Zeitgeist 2009.
9. Megan Fox: Though Indians are interested in Hollywood, but the level on interest pales when compared to Bollywood and Google's Zeitgeist lists are evidence of the fact. While there were no Hollywood celebrities on the Google Zeitgeist India list in 2007 and 2008, in 2009 Megan Fox is the only other Hollywood actress on the list.
The Transformers star who is often voted amongst the sexiest woman on the planet, was also No. 4 on Yahoo's search rankings for 2009.
8. Angelina Jolie: She is perhaps the most recognisable Hollywood face in India over the years and this reflects in her being the eighth most sought after celebrity in India online.
The 34-year-old actress is always in the news, either for her films or the kids that she adopts and Indians seemingly want to know more about her.
7. Shahrukh Khan: The King Khan has climed a step higher than his No. 8 ranking in the 2008 list. But compared to 2007, when SRK was at No. 5 on the most popular search list, the superstar's magic seems to be washing off a little.
The reason why Bollywood's reigning superstar ranks low in the 2009 listings could also be because SRK didn't have any major release this year.
6. Kareena Kapoor: Kareena Kapoor always keeps Indians on the net interested. She is a regular on Google Zeitgeist India.
Kareena was ranked eighth in 2007 and fifth in 2008. In 2009 Bebo has slipped a slot to No. 6.
5. Shahid Kapoor: Doesn't matter if it is Kapoor or Kapur, Shahid does one better than former girlfriend Kareena. While Kareena is on No. 6, Shahid finds a place on Zeitgeist India right up there at No. 5.
The success of Kaminey and the interest in his forthcoming films is doing a lot of good to Shahid on Google search. Shahid was No. 6 in 2008.
4. Aishwariya Rai: Often referred to as the most beautiful woman on the planet Aishwariya Rai generates interest online even if she isn't appearing in many movies.
While Ash was the reigning queen of the search engines for most of the 2000s, he popularity seems to be waning. The former Miss World was No. 1 in 2007, slipping to the second spot in 2008. In 2009 Mrs Bachchan has to be content with the No. 4 position.
3. Salman Khan: Salman Khan is always in the news and has a fan following perhaps no other current Bollywood actor commands.
Salman has been in the top three of Google Zeitgeist India for the last three years. While Sallu was at No. 2 in 2007, he has stuck on the third position in both 2008 and 2009.
2. Michael Jackson: The death of the King of Pop also had Indians searching for him online, taking him to the No. 2 position on Zeitgeist India.
While globally Michael Jackson was the most searched for celebrity in 2009, Indians often tend to think and do things a little different.
1. Katrina Kaif: If one celebrity suceeded in beating the surge of search queries following Michael Jackson's death was Katrina Kaif.
It was Katrina who managed to wrest away the crown of India's most popular celebrity online from Aishwarya Rai in 2008. In 2009, Bollywood's lucky charm holds on to the numero uno spot.
Other celebrities who were present in the earlier lists but are missing in 2009 include Hrithik Roshan, Deepika Padukone, Mallika Sherawat, Priyanka Chopra and Rani Mukherjee.