Apple's new iMacs may be delayed until early 2013 due to complications in the manufacturing process, according to a report in French blog MacBidouille.
A report in the Apple Insider quotes
the French blog
Citing a "commercial source," French language blog MacBidouille claims that production of Apple's new iMac models may not be ready (machine translation) for sales ahead of the lucrative holiday shopping season, speculating that the company's advanced welding process is to blame for the delay.
During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call, which was held shortly after the new iMac's debut, Cook said that there would be a "significant shortage" of the all-in-one, but declined to offer details on the matter.
Apple had introduced the new iMac
at a special event held in San Jose, California. The highlight of the new iMac is its thickness, which at 5mm, is thinner than most monitors, not to mention other all-in-one computers.
As per the original schedule, the new iMac was expected to start shipping this month. Any slippage from this schedule will be a big blow to Apple, as the new iMac is expected to be a really popular item during the upcoming holiday season.
The 21.5-inch iMac is expected to retail at Rs. 85,900 and upwards, while the 27-inch version will start at Rs. 122,900.Technical Specifications
(Base model, Rs. 85,900)
- 21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution
- 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
- 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
- 1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
- FaceTime HD camera
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones
- Headphone port
- SDXC card slot
- Four USB 3 ports
- Two Thunderbolt ports
- Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
- 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Apple Wireless Keyboard/ Magic Mouse
- 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- OS X Mountain Lion
- Height: 17.7 inches (45.0 cm)
- Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)
- Stand depth: 6.9 inches (17.5 cm)
- Weight: 12.5 pounds (5.68 kg)