Samsung had announced its Android-powered Galaxy Camera at the IFA
trade show in Berlin in August last year and the camera reached Indian shores by November for Rs. 29,900
Now the Korean manufacturer has launched a Wi-Fi only version of the Galaxy Camera, dubbed as the EK-GC110. Though pricing details are yet to be announced, it is expected to be priced lower than the original EK-GC100 model, which offered HSPA+ connectivity as well.
Feature wise, the Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi) has all of the innovative and practical features that the earlier Galaxy Camera offers but without a 3G/4G connection.
The Samsung Galaxy Camera features a 16.3-megapixel sensor with a f/2.8 aperture and 23mm-480mm lens that has 21x of optical zoom. Under the hood, the camera is powered by a 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos processor, as found in the Galaxy S III smartphone. It features a 4.8-inch S-LCD display with a resolution of 1280×720 pixels translating into 308 ppi. The camera also supports 3G connectivity via a micro-SIM but does not have calling features.
The camera comes with 8GB of internal storage, 32GB of expandable memory with microSD support. Connectivity options include 3G (HSPA+ 21Mbps), HDMI 1.4, WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS. Apart from this, the camera also has 1,650 mAh battery that Samsung claims can last up to seven hours. The most interesting feature of Galaxy Camera is the fact that it is powered by Android 4.1, so you can run virtually any Android app on this camera.
Samsung has also made an effort to include many tools that will appeal to a photographer's editing experience. Features like auto cloud backup, Best group pose, Smart Pro mode define Samsung's capabilities of exploring the Galaxy camera. Users can also install apps and games on the device from Google Play.
Last month, Samsung rolled out the Android 4.1.2 update to the Galaxy Camera
, which includes a revamped Gallery app, similar to the one in the Galaxy Note II. It's not clear what other changes the update brings, but it is likely that Samsung has included miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements.Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi) key specs
- Image Sensor: 16.3 effective megapixel 1/2.3" BSI CMOS
- Lens: F2.8, 23 mm, 21x super long zoom
- Display: 121.2 mm (4.8"), 308 ppi, HD Super Clear Touch Display
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Processor: 1.4GHz Quad-Core processor
- OS: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Memory: 8GB, memory slot : micro SDSC, micro SDHC, micro SDXC
- Smart Pro : 10 modes (Macro, Rich Tone, Action Freeze, Waterfall Trace, Light Trace,Beautiful Sunset, Blue Sky, Natural Green, Silhouette, Vivid Fireworks)
- Share shot, Auto Cloud Back-up
- Smart Content Manager, Photo Wizard, Movie Wizard
- Voice Control, Slow Motion Video, S Planner, S Suggest
- AllShare Play, Family Story, Drop box
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Connectivity: WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, Bluetooth 4.0
- Battery: 1,650 mAh
- Dimension (WxHxD): 128.7 x 70.8 x 19.1 mm
- Weight: 305g