Samsung has launched it Android-based Galaxy Camera in India for Rs. 29,900. It is available in the market starting Friday.
The Samsung Galaxy Camera was first unveiled at IFA Berlin back in August. It features a 16-megapixel sensor with a f/2.8 aperture and 23mm-480mm lens that has 21x optical zoom. Under the hood, the camera is powered by a 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos processor, as found in the Galaxy S III smartphone. It features a 4.8-inch S-LCD display with a resolution of 1280×720 pixels translating into 308 ppi. The camera also supports 3G connectivity via a micro-SIM but does not have calling features.
The most interesting feature of Galaxy Camera is the fact that it is powered by Android 4.1, so you can run virtually any Android app on this camera. The camera comes with 8GB of internal storage with the option to add another 32GB via microSD. Connectivity options include 3G (HSPA+ 21Mbps), HDMI 1.4, WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS. Apart from this, the camera also has 1,650 mAh battery that Samsung claims can last up to seven hours.
In India, Samsung has tied up with Airtel to offer 1GB of free data per month for two months post purchase. Samsung is also bundling an additional battery with the camera.
Commenting on the launch, Asim Warsi, Vice President, Samung Mobile sayid, "Samsung is unique, in that it is the only company that can combine world class mobile and digital imaging technologies to create such an innovative product. The collaboration between Mobiles and Digital imaging business units allowed Samsung to create the first Connected camera, using technology like 3G. A Connected Camera gives users total freedom to take vivid high quality pictures and videos wherever and whenever they wish and share them instantly through their favourite social networking sites with family and friends without the restrictions of a conventional camera. The Galaxy camera provides these luxuries and many more in a beautiful design and user interface."
While Samsung Galaxy Camera is an interesting product, it is not the first of its kind. Nikon unveiled an Android-based camera of its own, Coolpix S800c, way back in August. The camera was recently launched in India carrying a price tag of Rs 20,950.
Samsung Galaxy Camera key specs
- Image Sensor: 16.3 effective megapixel 1/2.3" BSI CMOS
- Lens: F2.8, 23 mm, 21x super long zoom
- Display: 121.2 mm (4.8"), 308 ppi, HD Super Clear Touch Display
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Processor: 1.4GHz Quad-Core processor
- OS: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Memory: 8GB, memory slot : micro SDSC, micro SDHC, micro SDXC
- Smart Pro : 10 modes (Macro, Rich Tone, Action Freeze, Waterfall Trace, Light Trace,Beautiful Sunset, Blue Sky, Natural Green, Silhouette, Vivid Fireworks)
- Share shot, Auto Cloud Back-up
- Smart Content Manager, Photo Wizard, Movie Wizard
- Voice Control, Slow Motion Video, S Planner, S Suggest
- AllShare Play, Family Story, Drop box
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Connectivity: WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, Bluetooth 4.0
- Battery: 1,650 mAh
- Dimension (WxHxD): 128.7 x 70.8 x 19.1 mm
- Weight: 305g