Canon has joined the likes of Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm, and bitter-rival Nikon, by finally unveiling its first mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera.
The EOS M brings to fruition the rumours of Canon entering the MILC space - cameras that aim to bring DSLR-like interchangeable lens and image quality in a smaller body.
The Canon EOS M features a 18-megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS image sensor. Canon has also introduced two new lenses designed specifically for the new camera format - the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens and the optional EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.
The camera also comes with the ability to use the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses through the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M. It is also compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories.
The Canon EOS M bundled with the new EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens will be available in October for an estimated retail price of $799.99. A white version of the EOS M Digital Camera bundled with the new EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens will be exclusively available through the Canon Online store.
The new EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, Mount Adapter EF-EOS M and Speedlite 90EX will all be available in October at an estimated retail price of $299.99, $199.99 and $149.99 respectively.
No word yet on India pricing and availability of the Canon EOS M yet.
It's noteworthy, that Nikon had launched its mirrorless cameras, the Nikon V1 and Nikon J1 in March. (See: Nikon J1 and V1 - Review)
Canon EOS M Summary
- 18.0-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor.
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording, ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting from bright to dim light and high performance.
- Powerful DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional image quality video and photos.
- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos.
- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation allowing photographers to use familiar gestures such as "pinch-to-zoom" and "swiping" to scroll between pictures and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive video capture experience.
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimised photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night.
- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility.
- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
- Compatible with SD/ SDHC/ SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards.
- Compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories including the new Speedlite 600EX and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT.
- Compatible with Canon's GPS Receiver GP-E2.