Better late than never. Twitter has finally rolled out an update for its native Windows Phone app (Twitter for Windows Phone v2.0), bringing a new user interface, support for live tiles and lock screen notifications to it. Following the update the app looks more in line with Twitter's native apps on other mobile OS platforms including iOS and Android ones.
The update brings the new Twitter user interface including the Home, Connect, Discover and Me tabs (without the text labels), to the app. Users can switch between tabs by simply swiping across them, just like the previous version, so there are no swipe gestures. However, the update adds omnipresent buttons for composing tweets and for search, and the 'pull to refresh' gesture for refreshing the timeline. The Discover tab features Trending topics, who to follow, and category listing for users. The app retains the multiple accounts but get rids of the dark theme.
It also offers autocomplete suggestions for twitter users when you start typing a handle name after keying-in the '@' symbol while composing a tweet.
The app also introduces support for Live tiles, allowing users to pin their accounts, lists or searches on the start screen. The live tile also displays the number of notifications and a preview of the tweet. It also enables detailed lock screen notifications, which means that you'll be able to have a look at your mentions on the lock screen itself.
- Integrated right into Windows Phone with faster performance, lock screen, and custom Live Tile that show your notifications
- Direct access to your favorite profiles and lists optimizing Windows Phone "pinning" functionality
- Streamlined navigation brings you the new Home, Connect, Discover and Me tabs
- Engage with the best Twitter content available in the Discover tab, as well as Trends, browse categories, find friends, and suggestions about Who To Follow
- Enjoy your Retweets, favorites, follows, mentions and replies in the Connect tab, or filter your mentions and replies only